Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Majorly Stupid Financial Decisions

On this Tuesday confession I will admit something I did in my twenties that I hate. Something I regret and I will have to wait 7 years to get it cleared from. I did not make a single payment on a credit card bill I had for 90 days. Yes, I know, cringe worthy. I did not pay my Capital One credit card from November 2009 until January 2010. I've read around the web that not paying a bill for 90 days is the equivalent of a bankrupcy on your credit report. While I hope that this is over stated, I do see the incredible toll this takes on my score. Now I have to wait until 2017 to have this cleared. Why did I not pay this bill you may ask? Simply because I did not care about it. Yes, you read it right, I did not care. My balance was around $50 at the time, it was simple stupidity and lack of understanding of what that was actually doing to my credit score. I did not have parents that sat me down and thought me about finances, I am not using that as an excuse, just a means to say that yes some of my lessons were learned the hard way. This blog will keep me accountable, I have found a passion for personal finances and with writing this I know I will be able to stay on track and no longer make any more incredibly stupid mistakes such as this one in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment